Tips for Creating Guidelines
Creating guidelines and agreeing on ground rules supports a dynamic mentoring relationship.
- Review the NORPD Confidentiality Agreement
- Determine frequency and length of meetings
- Schedule dates/times for next 2 - 3 meetings
- Determine best way to communicate between meetings (e.g., text, email, phone)
- Decide how to alert each other when mentoring meeting schedules need to change
- Determine how to plan meeting agendas and when to send (It is the mentee’s responsibility to prepare and send)
- Agree on how to end meetings. For example:
- Give feedback on what went well or needs changing
- Summarize action items and deliverables
- Make sure there are 2 – 3 meetings on your calendars
- Decide what meeting notes will be taken and by whom
- Agree on steps to take if there are relationship difficulties, a change in positions or jobs, you can’t find a time to meet, etc.
- Discuss other topics of importance to ensure a successful relationship